History is an evolving record of human emotion, human aspiration, human frustration, and human success. Historians study the goals, fears, interests, opinions, and prejudices of people in the past. What made people the way they were? What is the impact of their thought and action on people today and what is their impact on people tomorrow? As a study of people, history offers both a necessary understanding of one’s place in the human experience and the conceptual framework for a lifelong avocation.
The Associate in Arts in History for Transfer degree (AA-T in History) is intended for students who plan to transfer and complete a bachelor’s degree in History, or a similar major at a CSU campus. Each CSU campus determines which of the degrees it offers are “similar” and can be completed with the preparation included in the AA-T in History within 60 units once a student transfers, so which majors are “similar” varies from CSU to CSU. For a current list of what majors (and what options or areas of emphasis within that major) have been designed as “similar” to this degree at each CSU campus, please refer to the CSU’s Associate Degree for Transfer Major and Campus Search webpage and seek guidance from a Moorpark College counselor. Students completing this degree are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major.
To earn an AA-T in History, students must:
- Complete a minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units including both of the following:
- Certified completion of the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth (CSU GE-Breadth) requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units in History major as listed in the Moorpark College catalog.
- Obtain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework. While a minimum of 2.0 is required for admission, some transfer institutions and majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult with a counselor for more information.
- Obtain a grade of “C” or better or “P” in all courses required in the major. Even though a “pass-no-pass” is allowed (Title 5 §55063), it is highly recommended that students complete their major courses with a letter grade (A, B, or C).
- Complete requirements in residence. For students in the Ventura County Community College District, a minimum of 12 units must be completed in residency at the college granting the degree.
Students transferring to a CSU campus that accepts the AA-T in History will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor’s degree (unless the major is a designated “high-unit” major at a particular campus). This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or to a university or college that is not part of the CSU system. Students should consult with a counselor to obtain more information on university admission and transfer requirements.
|REQUIRED CORE- Complete two (2) courses|
|HIST M130||United States History Through Reconstruction||3|
|HIST M140||United States History 1865 to the Present||3|
|Units from LIST A||6|
|Units from LIST B||6|
|Select and complete one course from each Area||6|
|HIST M150||World History: From Prehistory to 1500||3|
|HIST M170||Western Civilization: From Prehistory to 1600||3|
|HIST M160||World History: From 1450 to the Present||3|
|HIST M180||Western Civilization: From 1600 To The Present||3|
|Select and complete one course from each Area|
|Area 1 Diversity:|
|HIST M131||African American History to 1877||3|
|HIST M133||History of Mexican Americans||3|
|HIST M135||Native American History and Culture||3|
|HIST M141||African American History Since 1877||3|
|HIST M145||Race and Ethnicity in American History||3|
|HIST M150||World History: From Prehistory to 1500 (if not used in List A)||3|
|HIST M152||History of Asia from Prehistory to 1600||3|
|HIST M160||World History: From 1450 to the Present (if not used in List A)||3|
|HIST M162||History of Asia From 1600 To The Present||3|
|HIST M164||History of Latin America||3|
|Area 2 History:|
|HIST M137||History of American Women||3|
|or HIST M137H||Honors: History of American Women|
|HIST M143||History of California||3|
|Any course from List A or List B not already used||3|
|Total Required Major Units: 18|
|CSU General Education-Breadth: 39|
Double-Counted Units: 6 - 12
Electives to meet 60 CSU units: 9 - 15
|IGETC Pattern: 37. NOTE: IGETC 1C is required for all CSU applicants. Students applying to a UC or Private school may earn this ADT without IGETC 1C but will be ineligible to apply to a CSU.|
Double-Counted Units: 6 - 12
Electives to meet 60 CSU units: 11 - 17
|Total Units Required for the AA-T Degree: 60|