Appendix XVI

Appendix XVI

Academic Renewal without Course Repetition 

Students may petition to have a portion of previous college work disregarded in meeting academic requirements in the colleges of the VCCCD when that work is not considered to be reflective of the student’s present demonstrated ability and level of performance. Academic Renewal is intended to facilitate the completion of requirements necessary for an academic degree or certificate, or transfer.

Academic Renewal Option

A student may petition to disregard a maximum of 24 semester units of any courses with less than a “C” or equivalent grade. Academic renewal may not be applied to any course that has been used to satisfy associate degree, certificate of achievement, IGETC or CSU-GE transfer general education breadth requirements. A student may disregard a maximum of 24 or fewer semester units of any courses with less than a “C” or equivalent grade taken during any five terms maximum (summer is considered one term), not necessarily consecutively.


To qualify for academic renewal, students must do all of the following:
  • Submit official transcripts of all college work.
  • Wait 12 months after the course work to be disregarded is completed.
  • Students must demonstrate recent academic success based on the coursework they have completed at any regionally accredited college after the coursework that is being petitioned for exclusion through academic renewal. Recent academic success may be demonstrated by one of the following:
    • Completing at least 12 semester units with a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA, or
    • Completing at least 15 semester units with a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA, or
    • Completing at least 24 semester units with a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
  • The colleges of the VCCCD will honor similar actions by other regionally accredited colleges and universities in determining grade point averages and credits.

Petition Process

The petition form for this purpose, “Petition for Academic Renewal,” is initiated by the student through a Counseling appointment.

Recording of Academic Renewal

Once the Petition for Academic Renewal is granted, the student’s permanent academic record shall be annotated in such a manner that all work remains legible, insuring a true and complete academic history.

Academic renewal actions are permanent and irreversible.

The student should be aware that other colleges or universities may have different policies concerning Academic Renewal and may not honor this policy.