Transfer to Complete Your Bachelor’s Degree

Transfer to Complete Your Bachelor’s Degree

What is a Bachelor’s Degree?

A Bachelor’s degree, sometimes called a baccalaureate degree, generally requires 4-5 years of study at a university. A Bachelor’s degree requires completion of both lower and upper division courses.

Community colleges offer lower division courses, providing students the opportunity to complete general education and lower division major or pre-major coursework prior to transferring to a university. Once students transfer, they will complete mainly upper division coursework in their major at the university.

The Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BS) are the most common baccalaureate degrees. BA degrees are most often awarded in the arts, humanities, and social sciences. The BS is more likely to be awarded in the sciences, math, engineering and for professional or technical fields of study. However, there are no absolute universal differences between these degrees and policies can vary from college to college.

Explore your major options at websites such as:

  1. Explore Transfer Opportunities:

  2. Schedule an appointment with a counselor in the Counseling Office at (805) 678-5816 to develop a Transfer plan.
  3. Talk to a university representative either in the University Transfer Center, at the university campus, or by phone or email to refine your educational plan and/or get up to date information regarding your major, housing, and campus support services.
  4. Schedule a visit and campus tour by calling the university’s admission or outreach/recruitment office.
  5. Stay on-track. Continue to follow your transfer plan, meeting with your counselor each semester to make adjustments as necessary. Updated major requirements can be found at for the UC and CSU.
  6. Apply to the institutions you selected by their posted deadlines. The UC system accepts fall applications from Nov. 1st –Nov. 30th only. The CSU system accepts fall applications from Oct. 1st through Nov. 30th. Independent and out-of-state colleges have their own deadlines. Check with their admission offices and on their websites.
  7. Apply for financial aid online at:
  8. Receive your acceptance letters (and from some colleges you will also receive your financial aid award offers shortly after). Choose the campus that best suits your needs and commit to that campus by signing a letter of intent and paying any necessary deposits. Notify the other campuses that you will not be attending so that they may make room for other students. Student Intent to Register - SIR - deadline is typically May 1st.
  9. Get Certified: Make an appointment in the Oxnard Counseling Office to have your IGETC, IGETC for STEM, or CSU-GE certified and apply for your Certificate of Achievement in IGETC or CSU GE- Breadth.
  10. Don’t Forget to Send Final Official Transcripts after you have completed all coursework to the university. The importance of this cannot be stressed enough. You may have your admission revoked if you do not provide complete official transcripts by the university deadline.