The Human Services program provides the student with an academic background for entry-level positions in various human services agencies such as providers of health care, vocational training, welfare services, probation supervision, and pre-professional counseling. It also prepares the student for upper-division programs in human services, behavioral sciences, social sciences and education.
|Introduction to Sociology
|or SOC R101H
|Honors: Introduction to Sociology
|Race and Ethnic Relations
|Sociology of Gender
|Fieldwork/Practicum: Social Work and Human Services
|Introduction to Social Work and Human Services
|Recommended Optional Courses 1
|Contemporary Family in American Society
|Sociology of the Chicano Community
|Crime and Society
|Sex, Gender and Culture
|Child, Family and Community
|Introduction to Law and Society
|Total Required Major Units
Students are encouraged to take at least one of the following courses.
To complete the Certificate of Achievement, students must also meet requirements in scholarship and residency. Refer to Earn a Certificate of Achievement section in this catalog for specific information.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the social services’ agencies and their goals for assisting clients with problems in the community.
- Identify elementary knowledge of intervention techniques for counseling clients.
- Utilize role playing in order to examine values and attitudes of human service providers and their clients.
- Evaluate the role of human services professionals and the needs of the poor.
- Incorporate community social welfare goals within the field of service along with the basic needs of clients.
- Demonstrate familiarity with major theoretical approaches to service delivery.
- Demonstrate an understanding of cross-cultural differences and an understanding of the importance of the structural context in analyzing social problems.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the ethical treatment of human service clientele when providing service.