Eligibility for Admission

The right of any person to attend any college in the Ventura County Community College District is conditioned by certain admission and residency qualifications as provided by state and federal law.

Ventura County Community College District has an Open Enrollment Policy. You are eligible to attend if you meet any of the following requirements:

  • You are 18 years of age on or before the first day of instruction of the term for which you are applying.
  • You are a high school graduate.
  • You have the equivalent of a high school diploma. i.e. you have passed the General Education Development test (GED) or a state's high school proficiency examination.

Open Enrollment Policy 
It is the policy of Ventura County Community College District that, unless specifically exempted by statute or regulation, every course—course section or class—reported for state apportionment, wherever offered and maintained by Ventura County Community College District, shall be fully open to enrollment and participation by any person who has been admitted to Ventura County Community College District and who meets such prerequisites and/or corequisites as may be established pursuant to regulations commensurate with Section 58050 (a)(3) of Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations as related to limitations on the receipt of state apportionment. 

For admission to the Ventura County Community College District, student self-certification may serve as proof of high school attendance and graduation or its equivalent. Students may be required to provide verification of high school graduation; or in the case of homeschooled students, verification from an accredited high school district that the home school curriculum completed meets the criteria for exemption from California’s Compulsory Attendance Laws, for financial aid eligibility or other purposes.

Students enrolled in a K-12 school may be eligible for admission under dual enrollment provisions noted under the Admissions of Minors/Dual Enrollment section of this catalog. The intent is to provide K-12 students access to take college-level courses that are not available through their primary school or other alternatives so they can benefit from advanced scholastic and vocational education the opportunity. 

Students entering any of the public community colleges of California are subject to the residency requirements as determined by the state of California. Students whose legal residence is determined to be in another state (nonresidents) or in a foreign country (International students) may be admitted under conditions stipulated by the governing board upon payment of specified tuition and fees. Additional information regarding residency requirements may be found under the “Residency Requirements” section in this Catalog, on the College website or by contacting the campus Admissions and Records Office.

General Admissions Procedures

Prior to being eligible for priority registration, new students to the Ventura County Community College District:

  • Must complete an application for admission
  • Must complete orientation
  • Assessment through multiple measures, including but not limited to:
    • Evaluation of other college coursework
    • High school courses and grades
    • Informed self-placement which result in course placement recommendations for Math, English and English as a Second Language.
  • Must complete an educational plan with a counselor
  • Submit transcripts from high school and/or any college/ universities previously attended

The application for admission is available online. Printed copies of the application for admission can be downloaded from the College website. Consult the college website for application dates and deadlines. An admission application must be on file before students can register. There is no cost to apply.

Upon admission to the college, new students will be directed to setup their MyVCCCD portal MyVCCCD to gain access to many self-service options.

Returning Students who have not attended one of the Ventura County Community Colleges in the last year:

  • Must reapply for admission available online.
  • Must reactivate their MyVCCCD Student Portal if necessary.
  • May be required to complete orientation, assessment, and counseling to develop a new educational plan.
  • Returning students who have attended other colleges should make a counseling appointment to have their other college transcripts evaluated for the educational plan.
  • All requirements must be completed before returning students can register for classes.

Applications for admission to the colleges of the Ventura County Community College District become the property of the colleges once they are submitted. Applications are submitted under penalty of perjury, whether submitted online or in written form. Falsification of information provided therein may result in disciplinary measures up to and including dismissal, termination of eligibility for programs and/or services as appropriate, and/or the retroactive assessment of nonresident tuition charges if warranted. Falsification of information that results in fraud or other crimes may result in legal penalties.

Moorpark College participates in an array of federal and state financial aid programs. All students are encouraged to apply for financial aid by completing the Free Federal Application for Student Aid (FAFSA).

Students who qualify under AB 540 must complete the California Dream Act Application at Apply early as some funds may be limited. For further information and deadlines, please visit the Financial Aid Office website.

Admission of Minors/Dual Enrollment

Pursuant to California Education Code Section 76001, minors may be permitted to take college courses under very specific circumstances. The intent of Dual Enrollment is to provide minors who can benefit from advanced scholastic and vocational education the opportunity to take college-level courses that are not available through their primary school or other alternatives.

  • The term "Dual Enrollment Student" refers to concurrently enrolled K-12 students who have been recommended by their principal or designee and have parental permission to attend a community college during any session or term. Parental permission may not be required for Dual Enrollment students who are 18 years of age or older.)

Students admitted as Dual Enrollment Students are limited to a maximum of 11 units per semester or term unless the student (either part-time or full-time) is enrolled under the terms of an existing AB 288 College and Career Access Pathway (CCAP) Partnership Agreement effective at the time of enrollment.

Enrollment fees are waived for Dual Enrollment Students who are enrolled in 11 units or less. Students under an AB 288 College and Career Access Pathways Partnership (CCAP) dual enrollment agreement with a school district who enroll in up to 15 units (no more than 4 college courses) are exempt from enrollment fees. All other fees apply.

Dual Enrollees who are determined to be nonresidents may be admitted and classified as nonresidents but exempt from paying additional nonresident tuition per California Ed. Code, Section 76141. Please note the following conditions:

  • This exemption only applies to Dual Enrollment students registered in 11 or fewer units per semester. The exemption does not apply to full-time Dual Enrollment students unless the student (either part-time or full-time) is enrolled under the terms of an existing AB 288 College and Career Access Pathway (CCAP) Partnership Agreement or “Dual Enrollment Pathway” effective at the time of enrollment.
  • This exemption does not apply to categories of students who would not qualify for AB 540 nonresident tuition exemption; i.e., a) students who reside outside of California and enroll via Distance Education and b) students on most nonimmigrant visas.
  • Students with T or U visas are eligible for this exemption.
  • Students receiving this exemption do not receive resident status for the purposes of tuition or financial aid. Rather, they are exempt from nonresident tuition under this law.

To qualify and register for Dual Enrollment, all students must apply for admission. After the initial application, Dual Enrollment students must present the following documents each semester they register at the college:

  • The Recommendation for Dual Enrollment and Memorandum of Understanding form signed by a parent /guardian and the high school principal or counselor. K-8 students must receive advisement and clearance from Dual Enrollment Office at Moorpark College to register courses.
  • Homeschooled students must present the completed Private School Affidavit. For more information, visit

All Dual Enrollment forms are available online. Detailed information on prerequisites clearance is available on-line and in this catalog.

Student Learning Outcomes:

  1. Understand the registration process.
  2. Register for their dual enrollment classes.

Important Note: Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), once a student is attending an institution of postsecondary education, all rights pertaining to the inspection, review, and release of his/her educational records belong to the student without regard to the student’s age. Therefore, all students, regardless of age, must provide written consent for release of their college transcripts and/or college records. For more information, please refer to “Privacy Rights Regarding Student Records” in the appendices of this catalog.

Parents and students applying for Special Full-time Admission status must contact the Admissions & Records Office. Petitions for Special Full-Time Admission will be considered only after the parent and student have exhausted all alternatives available through the secondary school district that the student would be attending. The decision to admit a minor as a special full-time admission student may be subject to the availability of classes. Special full-time admission students are required to complete at least 12 units in each primary term and to maintain continuous enrollment until reaching the age of 18.