The Associate in Arts in Art History for Transfer (AA-T in Art History) is intended for students who plan to transfer and complete a bachelor’s degree in Art History, or Studio Art - Art with Emphasis or Concentration in Art History, or a "similar" major at a CSU campus. Each CSU campus determines which of the degrees it offers are “similar” and can be completed with the preparation included in the AA-T in Art History within 60 units once a student transfers, so which majors are “similar” varies from CSU to CSU. For a current list of what majors (and what options or areas of emphasis within that major) have been designated as “similar” to this degree at each CSU campus, please refer to the CSU’s Associate Degree for Transfer Major and Campus Search website and seek guidance from a Moorpark College counselor. Students completing this degree are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major.
To earn an AA-T in Art History, students must:
- Complete a minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units including both of the following:
- Complete the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth (CSU GE-Breadth) requirements.
- Complete the coursework required for the Art History major as listed in the Moorpark College catalog.
2. Obtain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework. While a minimum of 2.0 is required for admission, some transfer institutions and majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult with a counselor for more information.
3. Obtain a grade of “C” or better or “P” in all courses required in the major. Even though a “pass-no-pass” is allowed (Title 5 §55063), it is highly recommended that students complete their major courses with a letter grade (A, B, or C).
4. Complete requirements in residency. For students in the Ventura County Community College District, a minimum of 12 units must be completed in residence at the college granting the degree.
Students transferring to a CSU campus that accepts the AA-T in Art History will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor’s degree (unless the major is a designated “high-unit” major at a particular campus). This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or to a university or college that is not part of the CSU system. Students should consult with a counselor to obtain more information on university admission and transfer requirements.
|REQUIRED CORE: Complete the following three courses (9 units)|
|Drawing and Composition I|
|History of Western Art: Prehistoric Through Gothic|
|History of Western Art: Renaissance through Modern|
|LIST A: Complete the following course (3 units)|
|History of Art: Asian|
|LIST B: Select and complete one course (3 units) from the following list|
|Drawing and Composition II|
|Beginning Life Drawing I|
|Beginning Life Drawing II|
|Beginning Painting I|
|Beginning Painting II|
|Water Color I|
|Water Color II|
|Beginning Ceramics I|
|Beginning Ceramics II|
|Beginning Sculpture I|
|Figure Sculpture I|
|Beginning Printmaking I|
|Introduction to Computer Graphics|
|Introduction to Digital Media|
|Non-Fiction/Reality Production I|
|Beginning Single Camera Production|
|Beginning Motion Picture Production|
|LIST C: Select and complete one course (3-5 units) from the following|
|History of Western Art: Modern through Contemporary|
Any course from LIST A or LIST B not already used
Any Art or Humanities course articulated as CSU GE Area C1 or IGETC Area 3A
Any course articulated as CSU GE Area C2 or IGETC Area 3B in: a language other than English (except ASL); Art, History, Humanities, Philosophy, Religion/Religious Studies, or History of Costume
Any course articulated as CSU GE Area D1, D3, D4 or D6 or IGETC Area 4
|Total Units for the Major||18 - 20|
|CSU General Education-Breadth||39|
Double-Counted Units 9 -12
Electives to meet 60 CSU units: 10 - 15
|IGETC: 37. NOTE: IGETC 1C is required for all CSU applicants. Students applying to a UC or Private school may earn this ADT without IGETC 1C but will be ineligible to apply to a CSU.||37|
Double-Counted Units: 6 - 9
Electives to meet 60 CSU units: 9 - 14
|Total Units for the Degree||60|
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- examine and assess visual art expressions across time and throughout the world.
- discuss the different mediums and techniques used to create art traditionally and with modern means.
- compare and contrast different cultures, civilizations and artistic expressions based on the knowledge they have acquired, and critically analyze their own cultural assumptions against those of other cultures across time and throughout the world.