Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS)
EOPS assists low income and educationally disadvantaged students with support services and financial assistance to successfully overcome obstacles to achieve their educational goals.
EOPS was established in the California Community College System in 1969. EOPS is renowned as the most successful California community college program. It provides programs and services over, above, and in addition to the regular educational programs of the College and is designed to assist educationally and economically disadvantaged students to be successful in their academic transfer and or vocational educational program at Ventura College.
EOPS values student success in achieving their goals on time and strengthening their voices as they transform their lives through their educational experience. EOPS aims to identify and address equity gaps to ensure that each student has the opportunity to succeed.
Students must be eligible for a California College Promise Grant A or B; be a California resident, be enrolled full time (12 units); have completed less than 50 units of degree-applicable credit; and be determined to be educationally disadvantaged.
EOPS Offers a Range of Services
- Outreach, Orientation, and Registration Services: Entry services to identify EOPS eligible students and facilitate their enrollment in the College will be provided by special outreach, an active recruitment program. There is a required special college orientation. Early registration is also offered which allows the EOPS student to register early, and secure needed courses before campus-wide enrollment.
- Assessments: EOPS-eligible students are assessed in reading, comprehension, vocabulary, writing, computations, study skills, and academic skill deficiencies.
- Counseling and Advisement: Specialized counseling is provided to all EOPS students. Personalized academic/personal counseling and the development of a student education plan is provided to all EOPS students through the EOPS counseling faculty. EOPS counselors meet regularly with EOPS students. Peer advisement is also available.
- Special Services: A culturally proficient staff is available and can provide Spanish language assistance. EOPS strives to provide an environment that nurtures, engages, and reflects a diverse "family" of participants. By offering comprehensive support services that are academically and socially enriching, EOPS staff seek to advocate for and empower students to realize their potential.
- Transfer: EOPS provides assistance and university transfer fee waivers to EOPS-eligible students with the transfer and transitional process to four-year institutions.
- Financial Assistance: All students who are admitted under the program are considered for financial assistance on the basis of need and completion of the EOPS Student Mutual Responsibility Contract. EOPS Grants, graduation caps and gowns, food pantry assistance, emergency loans, book vouchers, and bus passes/tokens may also be available.
- Tutoring: EOPS provides additional tutoring hours for EOPS students through the Tutoring Center.
- Success Strategies: Study skills, time management, and retention and success strategies are offered through the EOPS Success Academy and other EOPS workshops.
- Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education (CARE) Program: CARE is a cooperative effort under the umbrella of EOPS involving the State Employment Development Department, State Department of Social Services, local county CalWORKS departments and the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office. This program specifically targets CalWORKS students.
- CARE Eligibility: EOPS eligible students that are CalWORKS recipients, at least 18 years old, and the single head of their household with child(ren).
- Services: Additional financial assistance in the form of a CARE grant, special workshops, and non-CalWORKS duplicative services such as gas vouchers, book vouchers, meal tickets, minimal car repair, and parking permits may be available.
EOPS is located in the EOPS building. The phone number is (805) 289-6302.