The Associate in Arts in Journalism for Transfer (AA-T in Journalism) is intended for students who plan to transfer and complete a bachelor's degree in Journalism, Mass Communication, Public Relations, Advertising, or a major deemed similar, at a CSU campus. Each CSU campus determines which of the degrees it offers are “similar” and can be completed with the preparation included in the AA-T in Journalism within 60 units once a student transfers, so which majors are “similar” varies from CSU to CSU. For a current list of what majors (and what options or areas of emphasis within that major) have been designated as “similar” to this degree at each CSU campus, please refer to the CSU’s Associate Degree for Transfer Major and Campus Search website and seek guidance from a Moorpark College counselor. Students completing this degree are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major.
To earn an Associate in Arts in Journalism for Transfer (AA-T in Journalism), students must:
- Complete 60 semester or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth (CSU GE-Breadth) requirements.
- Complete the required coursework for the Journalism major as listed in the Moorpark College catalog.
2. Obtain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework. While a minimum of 2.0 is required for admission, some transfer institutions and majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult with a counselor for more information.
3. Obtain a grade of “C” or better or “P” in all courses required in the major. Even though a “pass-no-pass” is allowed (Title 5 §55063), it is highly recommended that students complete their major courses with a letter grade (A, B, or C).
4. Complete requirements in residency. For students in the Ventura County Community College District, a minimum of 12 units must be completed in residence at the college granting the degree.
Students transferring to a CSU campus that accepts the AA-T in Journalism will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor’s degree (unless the major is a designated “high-unit” major at a particular campus). This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or to a university or college that is not part of the CSU system. Students should consult with a counselor to obtain more information on university admission and transfer requirements.
|REQUIRED CORE: Complete three courses (9 units)|
|JOUR M01/FTMA M100||Introduction to Mass Communications||3|
|JOUR M02||Digital Media Reporting & Writing||3|
|JOUR M10A||Student News Digital Media Staff||3|
|Units from LIST A (3 - 4 units)||3-4|
|Units from LIST B (6 units)||6|
|LIST A: Select and complete one course (3 - 4 units)|
|JOUR M03||Advanced Digital Media Reporting & Writing||3|
|JOUR M05||Introduction to Visual Communication||3|
|JOUR M10B||Student News Digital Media Desk Editors||4|
|JOUR M14||Digital Public Relations||3|
|JOUR M15||Digital Storytelling||3|
|PHTC M35||Introduction to Photojournalism||3|
|LIST B - Select and complete two courses (6 units)|
|Statistics - only one course|
|MATH M15||Introductory Statistics||4|
|or MATH M15H||Honors: Introductory Statistics|
|SOC/PSY M125||Statistics for the Behavioral and Social Sciences||3|
|Economics - only one course|
|ECON M201||Principles of Microeconomics||3|
|Principles of Macroeconomics|
or ECON M202H
|Honors: Principles of Macroeconomics|
|COMM M07||Argumentation and Debate||3|
|DES M127||Digital Layout||3|
|ENGL M01C||Critical Thinking and Composition||3|
|or ENGL M01CH||Honors: Critical Thinking and Composition|
|POLS M02||Comparative Politics||3|
|POLS M03||American Government and Politics||3|
|or POLS M03H||Honors: American Government and Politics|
|PHIL M07||Introduction to Logic||3|
|PHIL M09||Introduction to Symbolic Logic||3|
|Any CSU GE Breadth courses from two different Areas within A through D or IGETC Areas 1A through 5C not used above.|
|Total Units for Major:||18-19|
|CSU General Education-Breadth:||39|
Double-Counted Units: 6 - 12
Electives to meet 60 CSU units: 8 - 15
|IGETC Pattern. NOTE: IGETC 1C is required for all CSU applicants. Students applying to a UC or Private school may earn this ADT without IGETC 1C but will be ineligible to apply to a CSU.||37|
Double-Counted Units: 3 - 12
Electives to meet 60 CSU units: 7-17
|Total Units Required for the AA-T Degree:||60|