Planning Your Education

Planning Your Education

Make Educational Choices to Support Your Goals

Why are you attending Moorpark College?

We all have unique interests and goals. You may be attending Moorpark College for any number of reasons. Moorpark College offers courses in an array of disciplines that can prepare you for skilled trades, specialized careers, job advancement, and transfer to a four-year college or university to further your education. Your goals should have a direct influence on the courses and programs you choose to complete while at Moorpark College. It is important to keep your goals in mind at all times when selecting classes and programs and to remain informed about requirements specific to your goals.

Planning is Critical

You may already know what you want to accomplish while enrolled at Moorpark College, or you may be unaware of your options and what is necessary to reach your goals. Counselors at Moorpark College are available to help you identify your goals and to create an educational plan that will help you achieve those goals. The counselors also assist undecided students in clarifying what their goals are. It is to the student’s advantage to develop an Educational Plan as soon as possible. Schedule a counseling appointment to start exploring the possibilities.

What do you want to accomplish at Moorpark College?

  • Prepare to transfer to a four-year college or university while earning an Associate Degree for Transfer, obtaining general education certification, and/or fulfilling UC Transfer Pathways requirements.
  • Earn an Associate Degree in a specific major or in General Studies with an area of emphasis.
  • Gain skills for improved employability or job placement/advancement through a Certificate of Achievement, Proficiency Award, or Certificate of Completion.
  • Prepare for credit coursework by earning a Certificate of Competency.

Proof of Your Success

Moorpark College offers seven distinct types of awards showing educational achievement. If you are hoping to apply skills and knowledge to the job market once you have completed your studies at Moorpark College, having proof of your accomplishments can be an asset.

  • Associate Degrees for Transfer (ADT) are Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) degrees that are awarded to students who successfully complete 60 semester units of required general education (either the CSU GE-Breadth, CSU GE-Breadth for STEM, IGETC for CSU, or IGETC for STEM pattern) and a specified sequence of lower-division major preparation coursework. Students with an ADT are guaranteed admission into the CSU in a program deemed similar to that of the transfer degree and will have the opportunity to complete their bachelor’s degree upon completion of an additional 60 units of upper-division study. Students completing the IGETC for IGETC for STEM pattern must complete IGETC Area 1C (Oral Communication) to be guaranteed admission to the CSU.
  • Associate in Science for University of California (UC) Transfer Pathways (AS-UCTP) degrees are awarded to students who successfully complete a UC Transfer Agreement Guarantee (TAG) along with the required major and general education requirements. Currently, Moorpark College offers an AS-UCTP in Biology and Environmental Science. Schedule an appointment with a counselor for more information on these AS-UCTP degrees.
  • Associate Degrees are traditional Associate in Arts (AA) or Associate in Science (AS) degrees. These degrees are broader in scope than Certificates of Achievement because they require coursework in an array of disciplines to broaden your learning experience and strengthen your critical thinking skills. An AA or AS degree requires the completion of 60 degree-applicable units, including courses in general education plus courses in a chosen major. Moorpark College offers a number of associate degrees. Students should see a Moorpark College counselor to assist them in determining which study pattern they should follow. 
  • Certificates of Achievement (COA) require concentrated study in a specific skill or knowledge area. Certificates require more units and generally provide more in-depth study than a Proficiency Award. Completion of a Certificate of Achievement makes a student eligible to participate in the spring graduation ceremony and is recorded on the student’s transcript.
  • Proficiency Awards (PA) show that the student has successfully completed one or more courses in a targeted career or skills area. These awards are not recorded on student transcripts, and students earning only a Proficiency Award are not eligible to participate in the annual graduation ceremony.
  • Certificate of Competency are noncredit awards that demonstrate achievement in a set of competencies that prepares students to process in a career path or to enroll in credit courses.
  • Certificate of Completion are noncredit awards that are designed to improve employability or job opportunities upon completion of a designated sequence of noncredit courses.