This award introduces the fundamental concepts, skills and techniques of basic baking. Special emphasis placed on the study of ingredient functions, product identification, and weights and measures as applied to baking. Students will have the opportunity to apply basic baking techniques in the preparation of cookies, cakes, muffins, tarts and basic custards and petit fours. Traditional meringues, butter creams and Génoise Sponge will be included. This program prepares students for entry level employment in bakeries, grocery store bakeries, institutional bakeries, or restaurants where baked goods are prepared and sold.
|Required Core Courses|
|CRM R103A||Introduction to Baking Techniques||6|
|CRM R103B||Advanced Pastry||3.5|
|CRM R104||Sanitation and Environmental Control||3|
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Use acceptable procedures when preparing potentially hazardous foods.
- List the major reasons for food spoilage and recognize signs of food spoilage.
- Upon completion, student will be able to demonstrate basic cake decorating skills.
- Upon completion, students will be able to prepare a variety of yeast-raised products, pies, pastries, cookies and cakes.
- Upon completion, student will be able to demonstrate the safe use and operation of specialized bake shop hand tools and equipment.