Associate in Arts Degree - Art History for Transfer
The Associate in Arts in Art History for Transfer Degree (Art History AA-T) is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU campus. Students completing the degree are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major.
A student graduating with an Associate in Arts in Art History for Transfer Degree may transfer to a CSU Campus to complete a Bachelor’s Degree in Art, Art History, Fine Arts, History, Studio Arts or similar programs.
To earn an Art History AA-T degree, students must complete:
- Certified completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC-CSU) or the California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
- Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0 on transfer courses.
- Obtainment of a "C" grade or better, or "P," in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis. Although a "P" grade is allowed (Title 5, Section 55063), it is recommended that students take the course for a letter grade (A, B, or C) due to unit limitations on "P/NP" courses.
- Complete a minimum of 12 units in residency at the college granting the degree.
|Introduction to the History of Western Art I
|Introduction to the History of Western Art II
|Drawing and Composition I
|Units from List A
|Units from List B
|Units from List C
|CSU General Education or IGETC-CSU Pattern
|Electives (CSU transferrable units to reach 60)
|ART V02C/AES V67
|ART V03/AES V10
|Introduction to African and Pre-Columbian Art
|ART V08/AES V65
|Introduction to Asian Art
|Color and Design: Two-Dimensional Design
|Beginning Ceramics I
|Beginning Sculpture I
|Any course from List A or B not already used
|Any CSU transferable Art History course not already used 1
|Introduction to Renaissance and Baroque Art
|Introduction to American Art
|Introduction to Modern Art
|Introduction to Women in the Arts
|Any CSU GE course from Areas C1, C2, D1, D3, D4, or D6 2
Except ART V01 Art Appreciation (Units: 3).
Please refer to CSU General Education-Breadth Certification (may be found in the Counseling Office or in the VC Catalog on page 75).
See a counselor or consult assist.org, especially if you plan to transfer to a UC campus or a college or university other than CSU.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate basic drawing skills, color manipulation, and design principles in areas of emphasis.
- Demonstrate three-dimensional techniques in creating objects in selected areas of emphasis.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the camera and of the basic techniques of analog and digital photography in selected areas of emphasis.
- Critically evaluate digital media and graphic communication design and production techniques and their use in selected areas of emphasis.
- Analyze works of art in terms of their historical contexts and social and cultural values.