*Program was changed after publication of catalog. Please see addendum for details.
The Associate in Arts in Spanish for Transfer degree (AA-T in Spanish) is intended for students who plan to transfer and complete a bachelor’s degree in Spanish, or a "similar" major at a CSU campus. Each CSU campus determines which the degrees it offers are “similar” and can be completed with the preparation included in the AA-T in Spanish within 60 units once a student transfers, so which majors are “similar” varies from CSU to CSU. please refer to CSU’s Associate Degree for Transfer Major and Campus Search webpage and seek guidance from a College counselor. Students completing this degree are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major.
To earn an AA-T in Spanish, students must:
- Complete of 60 semester or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth (CSU GE-Breadth) requirements.
- A minimum of 23-24 semester units in Spanish major as listed in the Moorpark College catalog.
- Obtain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework. While a minimum of 2.0 is required for admission, some transfer institutions and majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult with a counselor for more information.
- Obtain a grade of “C” or better or “P” in all courses required in the major. Even though a “pass-no-pass” is allowed (Title 5 §55063), it is highly recommended that students complete their major courses with a letter grade (A, B, or C).
- Complete requirements in residency. For students in the Ventura County Community College District, a minimum of 12 units must be completed in residency at the college granting the degree.
Students transferring to a CSU campus that does accept the AA-T in Spanish will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor’s degree (unless the major is a designated “high-unit” major at a particular campus). This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or to a university or college that is not part of the CSU system. Students should consult with a counselor to obtain more information on university admission and transfer requirements.
|REQUIRED CORE: Complete the following (20 units) 1|
|SPAN M100||Elementary Spanish I||5|
|SPAN M110||Elementary Spanish II||5|
|or SPAN M110S||Elementary Spanish for Spanish Speakers II|
|SPAN M200||Intermediate Spanish I||5|
|or SPAN M200S||Intermediate Spanish for Spanish Speakers I|
|SPAN M210||Intermediate Spanish II||5|
|Units from LIST A||3-4|
Credit or placement equivalent to two years of college level Spanish are required. If a student places out of any Required Core course(s) and is not awarded units for that course, the student will need to take additional units from the Substitution Courses list below to compensate for the course/units required to reach at least 18 total units in the major (Title 5 regulation).
|ANTH M02||Cultural Anthropology||3|
|ANTH M08||Linguistic Anthropology||3|
|COMM M12||Intercultural Communications||3|
|ETHS M01||Introduction to Chicana/o Studies||3|
|GEOG M02||Cultural Geography||3|
|HIST M133||History of Mexican Americans||3|
|HIST M164||History of Latin America||3|
|SOC M110||Introduction to Sociology (formerly SOC M01)||3|
|SOC M110H||Honors: Introduction to Sociology (formerly SOC M01H)||3|
|SOC M140||Introduction to Gender (formerly SOC M10)||3|
|Any course not selected from LIST A|
|LIST A: Select and complete one course (3 - 4 units)|
|HIST M164||History of Latin America (if not used in Substitution Courses section above)||3|
|A course in Elementary or Intermediate level in other languages:|
|CHIN M100||Elementary Chinese: Mandarin I||4|
|FREN M100||Elementary French I||4|
|FREN M110||Elementary French II||4|
|GERM M100||Elementary German I||4|
|GERM M110||Elementary German II||4|
|ITAL M100||Elementary Italian I||4|
|ITAL M110||Elementary Italian II||4|
|JAPN M100||Elementary Japanese I||4|
|JAPN M110||Elementary Japanese II||4|
|LAT M100||Elementary Latin I||4|
|A course articulated as lower division preparation in the Spanish major at a CSU:|
|ACCT M110||Financial Accounting||3|
|ARTH M110||History of Western Art: Prehistoric Through Gothic||3|
|ARTH M120||History of Western Art: Renaissance through Modern||3|
|COMM M04||Interpersonal Communication||3|
|ENGL M30A||Masterpieces of World Literature I||3|
|ENGL M30B||Masterpieces of World Literature II||3|
|Total Required Major Units: 23 - 24|
|CSU General Education-Breadth: 39|
Double-Counted Units: 6 - 9
Electives to meet 60 CSU units: 3 - 7
|IGETC Pattern: 37. NOTE: IGETC 1C is required for all CSU applicants. Students applying to a UC or Private school may earn this ADT without IGETC 1C but will be ineligible to apply to a CSU.|
Double-Counted Units: 6 - 9
Electives to meet 60 CSU units: 5 - 9
|Total Units Required for the AA-T Degree: 60|