Veterans Center

Veterans Center

three graduates

Veterans Services

Students eligible for veteran's services will have access to information about services available, their options, and their responsibilities.

Military Veterans and Eligible Dependents

The Colleges of the Ventura County Community College District offer courses approved for VA benefits under Chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, and 1606/1607 under Title 38 of the U.S. Code. All veterans and eligible dependents are required to apply for admission and VA benefits before seeing a counselor and the VA Certifying Official. They are also responsible for notifying the VA Certifying Official on campus of any changes in their academic program, class schedule, in their marital or dependent status, or to their address.

Registration priority is granted to any member or former member of the Armed Forces of the U.S. for any academic term attended within four years of leaving active duty, who complete the Student Success activities (College Orientation, Assessment, and an Initial or Comprehensive Educational Plan). Veterans are entitled to registration priority even if they do not plan to use their educational benefits while attending Oxnard College. 

Enrollment can only be certified to the V.A. for benefits when a student has completed the following:

Important: For veterans who have attended other colleges: an unofficial transcript can be used for the initial counseling appointment. Please submit official transcripts to the Admissions & Records office shortly thereafter.

The Oxnard College V.A. Certifying Official is located in the Student Services Building in the Admissions and Records Office, at (805) 678-5810.

External Resources

The California Department of Veteran Affairs can be reached directly at (800) 952-5626 or

The Department of Veteran Affairs can be reached at (888) 442-4551 or

Veterans Educational Benefits

The colleges of the Ventura County Community College District are approved to process claims for students who are eligible to receive educational benefits under various chapters from the V.A.

Students interested in filing benefits claims or receiving information should contact the Veteran Counselor in the Veteran Resource Center.

Students eligible for veteran’s services will have access to information about services available, their options, and their responsibilities for using benefits.

Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018

For Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Ch 33) students and VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch 31) students, our tuition policy complies with 38 USC 3679(e) which means Post 9/11 and Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment students will not be charged or otherwise penalized due to a delay in VA tuition and fee payments. For eligibility consideration, a Post 9/11 GI Bill student must submit a VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and a Vocational Rehabilitation Student must provide a VAF 28-1905 form. All persons seeking enrollment must meet the general admissions policies. Those seeking to use VA Education Benefits must submit all prior transcripts for a transfer evaluation and submit one of the following a 22-1990, 22-1995, 22-5490, or a 22-5495 to the VA.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Enrollment and Rate of Pay

Only courses which meet the requirements for the major and degree objective indicated on the veterans’ Educational Plan will be certified for payment. If the educational objective is changed, the student must complete a new Educational Plan. Veterans must request enrollment certification each semester if they want to continue to receive benefits. It is not automatic.

V.A. educational benefits are paid based on the number of certified units in which the student is enrolled:

Regular Semester

  • 12 or more units = full-time pay
  • 9 - 11 units = three-quarter time pay
  • 6 - 8 units = pay varies by benefit type
    Please contact the VA for information regarding one-half-time pay requirements for your specific chapter.

Summer Session

  • 6 units = full-time for 8-week classes
  • 4 units = full-time for 6-week classes
  • (3/4 and half-time pay calculated accordingly)

Payment amounts are calculated based on eligibility, Chapter of benefits, and units certified as determined by the Veteran’s Administration.

The majority of VA Educational Assistance Programs do not pay a monthly allowance for less than half-time enrollment, although the veteran may be reimbursed for the cost of tuition and fees.

Under existing Veterans’ Administration regulations, a student repeating a course is not eligible for veterans’ benefits in most cases. Veterans should, therefore, check with the V.A. Certifying Official in the Admissions & Records Office before repeating a course.

Unsatisfactory Progress

In addition to the academic notice and dismissal standards applicable to all students, the Veterans’ Administration requires that standards of progress be adopted for certification of educational benefits.

For the purpose of certification for educational benefits, academic notice is defined as the failure to complete a minimum of 50% of the total units attempted, and/or to maintain a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average.

Unsatisfactory progress occurs when a veteran has been placed on academic notice for two consecutive semesters. Unsatisfactory progress must be reported to the Veteran’s Administration, and the veteran may not be certified for future educational benefits. Any veteran placed on unsatisfactory progress must consult the campus V.A. Certifying Official and receive academic counseling before educational benefits can be reinstated.

For more information about Veteran Support Services at Oxnard College, please visit our website: or visit our Veterans Resource Center.