Earn an Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT)

Earn an Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT)

The Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT)

About the Associate Degree for Transfer

Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) and Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) are degrees that are designed specifically for transfer to the California State University (CSU). The degrees are the results of Senate Bill 1440, a transfer bill that required the California Community Colleges (CCC) to offer associate degrees for transfer in many of the most popular majors, and for the CSU to provide priority admission to CCC students who have earned an AA-T or AS-T degree. These degrees can be completed in 60 CSU transferable semester units (or 90 quarter units) and include coursework in general education, major preparation and electives (if needed).

Students who have completed an AA-T or AS-T and are admitted to a CSU major that has been deemed similar are guaranteed admission at junior standing, and the opportunity to complete a baccalaureate degree with 60 additional semester (or 90 quarter) units. AA-T and AS-T degrees are recognized by both the CCC and CSU systems as a measure of preparation and readiness for transfer to upper-division course work at the CSU.

To obtain an AA-T or AS-T, students must complete the following:

  1. Choose an Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) degree a major from one of the lists provided below.
  2. Complete a minimum of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the CSU, including both of the following:
    1. Certified completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth (CSU GE Breadth) pattern; OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC - CSU) pattern. Students transferring to CSU using IGETC-CSU must complete Area 1C (Oral Communication) to meet CSU admission requirements.
    2. Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis as determined by the college as detailed in the Programs and Courses section of the catalog. All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of “C” or better or a “P” if the course is taken on a “pass-no-pass” basis (Title 5 § 55063). Even though a “pass-no-pass” is allowed, it is recommended that students complete their major courses with a letter grade (A, B, or C).
  3. Earn a minimum overall grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework. While a minimum of 2.0 is deemed eligible for transfer into a CSU program, some majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult the www.assist.org website and/or meet with a counselor for more information.
  4. Satisfy the Residency requirement. For students in the Ventura County Community College District, a minimum of 12 units must be completed in residence, at the college granting the degree.
  5. Apply for the ADT. The ADT is not automatically awarded when a student completes the requirements. Students should meet with a counselor to file an ADT Application for Graduation in the Counseling Office during the same semester in which they plan to finish the requirements.

Program requirements subject to change. Additional majors are being developed. Please see a counselor for more information.

For the latest information on Associate Degrees for Transfer (ADT), go to www.icangotocollege.com.

Reference: AP 4100 - Last reviewed by the VCCCD Board of Trustees in December 2022.

Associate Degree for Transfer Majors Offered at Oxnard College

Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T)

Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T)