International Students

International Students

Moorpark College is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students. International students (F-1 Visa) and persons who hold other nonimmigrant visas are citizens and residents of another country. Eligibility for admission is determined by the type and current status of the visa. Proof of current visa status must be submitted to determine this eligibility. Contact the International Student Program for more information at (805) 378-1414. 

If eligible for admission, International Students are required to pay nonresident tuition ($319 per unit) and Foreign Student Capital Outlay Fees ($19 per unit), in addition to the mandatory enrollment fees ($46 per unit), health fees ($21 per semester), student center fees ($1 per unit not to exceed $10 per term), student representation fees ($2 per term), and student activities fee (optional $5 per term).

International students are required to purchase the insurance plan that meets the minimum school requirements at the time of registration. Health insurance waiver requests will be considered on a case by case basis.

Most international students intend to study full time in the United States. The F-1 Visa requires students to enroll in and maintain 12 or more units per semester unless they have prior authorization from the International Student Program. Authorization for reduced course load will be given only in limited circumstances, as specified by federal regulations. When a student has violated the visa status, the student must apply to the Department of Homeland Security for reinstatement. Until the student is reinstated, the student’s ability to travel, work, or transfer may be impeded.

International students are required to adhere to the same academic standards as other students and are subject to the same rules of probation and dismissal. Failure to make normal progress may result in a violation of visa status.

Permission to Work (F-1 Visa only): International students may work up to a maximum of 20 hours a week on-campus during a full semester, and up to 30 hours a week during the summer term. Students must go through the normal competitive hiring process for student workers. After the successful completion of the first full academic year, international students may request permission to work off-campus due to financial hardship. This request needs to be approved by the DSO and USCIS. Contact the International Students Program for information regarding potential off campus employment, (805) 378-1414.

International Student Admission Procedures

After applying to the college as described in the Admissions Procedures catalog section above, international students must submit all of the following documents for evaluation to the International Student Office:

  • International Student Supplemental Application.
  • Proof of English Proficiency.
  • Proof of High School Completion or Equivalent, i.e. certificate of completion, diploma, transcripts in English.
  • Official Translated College or University Transcripts from all schools previously attended must be translated to English for submission. College or University coursework must also be evaluated by a school approved evaluation service.
  • An official bank statement or affidavit of support from a sponsor, to showing proof of sufficient financial support to pay tuition, fees, and living expenses for one year. All bank verifications should indicate U.S. currency and be dated within 6 months of the term start date. This cost is estimated to be $25,000 based on the geographical area of the college.

Prior to enrollment in classes, international students should complete the following:

  • Attend an orientation session for new international students, including academic counseling.
  • Submission of passport with visa stamp, I-94 card, and any previous I-20's issued by other schools.

F-1 Visa holders who wish to concurrently enroll in a class at Moorpark College while attending another U.S. school will apply to the college as described in the Admissions Procedures catalog section. After receiving the acceptance email with student ID number and MyVCCCD student portal link, concurrent enrollees will submit to the International Student Program only a copy of current I-20 (pages 1 and 2), valid passport, F-1 Visa, I-94, and a permission letter from the Designated School Official of the other U.S. school that issued the current I-20 verifying student status.

Transfer Students: In addition to the admissions procedures listed above, F-1students transferring from a school within the United States will submit an "Intent to Transfer-In Form" to be filled out by the Designated School Official (DSO) that issued the current I-20. Contact the International Students Program for information, (805) 378-1414.