The Associate in Science in Diesel Mechanics Degree at Ventura College is designed to prepare students for employment in the diesel engine repair workforce. Students will be taught the advanced knowledge and high technology skills that will prepare them for a career as a diesel technician in the 21st century. The program curriculum incorporates lecture and laboratory activities.
Competencies include: maintenance and inspection of heavy-duty vehicles; repair of diesel engines; technical, operational, and diagnostic skills related to diesel electrical systems; operation of power train units; inspection and adjustment of steering suspension systems; brake systems service; diagnosis and repair of heating and air conditioning systems; and the diagnosis and repair of fuel systems.
The program prepares students for careers with job titles that include the following:
● Diesel truck technician ● Transit mechanic
● Fleet technician ● Service technician
● Truck mechanic ● Mechanic
● Transportation mechanic ● Bus repair technician
● Agricultural equipment repair technician
This is a high-unit program, requiring 68.5 units for the degree. Students will be able to complete the program in two years (four semesters) if they take between 13.5 and 17.5 units per semester and 3.0 units in the summer.
|DM V10||Diesel Preventive Maintenance||2|
|DM V10L||Diesel Maintenance Lab||1.5|
|DM V12||Diesel Electrical/Electronic Systems||7|
|DM V26||Diesel Engines||2|
|DM V26L||Diesel Engines Laboratory||3|
|DM V28||Diesel Fuel Management Systems||2.5|
|DM V28L||Diesel Fuel Management Systems Laboratory||3|
|DM V30||Truck and Trailer Brake Systems||4|
|DM V34||Truck Suspension and Steering Systems||4|
|DM V40||Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) and Preventive Maintenance||4|
|DM V42||Hydraulic Systems||2|
|DM V42L||Hydraulic Systems Laboratory||1|
|DM V44||Drivetrain - Medium and Heavy-Duty Vehicles||2|
|DM V44L||Drivetrain Laboratory - Medium and Heavy-Duty Vehicles||1.5|
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of operation, service and repair of medium and heavy duty vehicles.
- Analyze, diagnose and repair operational faults with medium and heavy duty vehicles.
- Perform maintenance inspection and maintenance service required of medium and heavy duty vehicles.