The Associate in Arts in History for Transfer Degree (History AA-T) is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU campus. Students completing the degree are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major.
A student graduating with an Associate in Arts in History for Transfer Degree may transfer to a CSU Campus to complete a Bachelor’s Degree in Art History, Communication, Education, History or similar programs.
To earn a History AA-T degree, students must complete:
- Certified completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC-CSU) or the California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
- Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0 on transfer courses.
- Obtainment of a "C" grade or better, or "P," in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis. Although a "P" grade is allowed (Title 5, Section 55063), it is recommended that students take the course for a letter grade (A, B, or C) due to unit limitations on "P/NP" courses.
- Complete a minimum of 12 units in residency at the college granting the degree.
|Units from List A||6|
|Units from List B Group 1||3-5|
|Units from List B Group 2||3|
|CSU General Education or IGETC-CSU Pattern||37-39|
|Electives (CSU transferrable units to reach 60)|
|or HIST V01A|
|or HIST V01B|
|List B Group 1|
|HIST V12/AES V22|
|HIST V18A||(if not used in List A)|
|or HIST V18B|
|Any course in a language other than English which is articulated as fulfilling CSU GE Area C2:||3-5|
|Elementary French I|
|Elementary French II|
|Elementary German I|
|Elementary German II|
|Elementary Italian I|
|Elementary Italian II|
|Elementary Japanese I|
|Elementary Japanese II|
|Elementary Spanish I|
|Elementary Spanish II|
|Intermediate Spanish I|
|Intermediate Spanish II|
|List B Group 2|
|Any history course (including LIST A courses, if not used above) or any non-history course from the humanities or social sciences related to history ar ticulated as fulfilling CSU GE Area C or D or any introductory level social sciences course ar ticulated as fulfilling CSU GE Area D 1||3|
Please refer to CSU General Education-Breadth Certification (may be found in the Counseling Office or in the VC Catalog on page 75).
See a counselor or consult assist.org, especially if you plan to transfer to a UC campus or a college or university other than CSU.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the effects of time and place on the human experience.
- Assess and/or evaluate the cause and effect of historical development.
- Appraise the significance of people, places, and events to the larger themes of history.