Acceptance of Transfer Coursework

Acceptance of Transfer Coursework

From Regionally Accredited Colleges and Universities

Institutions must be regionally accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies:

  • Middle States Commission on Higher Education
  • New England Commission of Higher Education
  • The New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Committee on Technical and Career Institutions
  • Higher Learning Commission
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges
  • Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
  • WASC Senior College and University Commission.

Coursework presented on official transcripts from regionally accredited colleges and universities will normally be granted lower division credit by Moorpark College. Exceptions may apply. Students seeking exception must schedule an appointment to see a college counselor.

All transcripts submitted become the property of the College, and copies cannot be forwarded elsewhere or released to the student. These transfer records may be used by authorized College personnel only.

All transfer coursework is evaluated based upon the current information and practices specified in the Accredited Institutions of Postsecondary Education by the American Council on Education. Students transferring to colleges of the Ventura County Community College District are required to declare all previous college attendance. Failure to provide complete information may result in dismissal from the Ventura County Community Colleges.

From Foreign Colleges and Universities

Students transferring to the Ventura County Community Colleges from foreign colleges or universities must have their transcripts translated and evaluated as being equivalent to a regionally accredited institution by one of the member agencies of the National Association of Credentials Evaluation Services or one approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Evaluations from other professional credentials evaluation services will be reviewed for acceptability on a case-by-case basis. The evaluation must be a detailed or comprehensive evaluation that includes course-by-course descriptions, unit values and/or grade point average, and identification of lower and upper division courses. Evaluations must be mailed directly to Moorpark College from the evaluation service. Contact the Moorpark College Counseling Department for more information regarding credential evaluation criteria.

Completed coursework will be considered for lower division unit credit only. However, foreign coursework cannot be applied to CSU General Education Breadth or IGETC (except Area 6) certification unless the foreign institution has U.S. regional accreditation. The individual CSU campus may opt to give students credit for foreign coursework, but community colleges do not have that prerogative. Requests for equivalent Moorpark College course credit are evaluated on an individual basis by a counselor. This review is based upon the recommendations of the transcript evaluation service and by the appropriate college discipline.