HSI Title V Grants
Oxnard College is a designated Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). The U.S Department of Education Title V HSI Grants assist with strengthening institutional programs, facilities, and services to expand the educational opportunities for Hispanic Americans and other underrepresented populations. Title V grants enable HSI schools to expand and enhance their academic offerings, program quality, and institutional stability.
The Department of Education’s grant will enable Oxnard College to achieve higher levels of success among its primarily Latino student population through enhanced college access, retention and transfer activities. Employee professional development initiatives will be incorporated as well.
Proyecto Puentes funding will support the following efforts:
- Placing an Oxnard College counselor in local high schools to assist students with college and financial aid applications.
- Offering summer bridge programs to provide information, support services and skills development for students matriculating from high school to Oxnard College, as well as students transitioning from their first year at Oxnard College to their second.
- Hosting and participating in conferences and other collaborations with four-year universities to improve transfer success.
- Partnering with CSU Channel Islands to hire an Oxnard College transfer liaison who will work closely with Oxnard College students transferring to CSUCI. The liaison will help students navigate the four-year university setting so they can graduate with a bachelor’s degree.
- Providing professional development activities for employees who will be instrumental in building a culture of belonging, student success, and transfer readiness throughout the college.