English, Associate in Arts for Transfer
English, Associate in Arts for Transfer
The Associate in Arts in English for Transfer Degree offers students the opportunity to study literature, creative writing, and composition as well as to deepen critical thinking, communication skills, and aesthetic awareness. A degree in English can lead to careers in media, journalism, publishing, paralegal and law, marketing, academia, business, technical writing, and web development. English majors gain communication, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills that are valuable in today’s collaborative workplace.
The Associate in Arts in English for Transfer AA-T is primarily intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in English or a similar major at a CSU campus. For a current list of what majors (and what options or areas of emphasis within that major) have been designated as “similar” to this degree at each CSU campus, please refer to https://icangotocollege.com/ associate-degree-for-transfer (https://icangotocollege.com/associate-degree-for-transfer/) and seek guidance from a Ventura College counselor. Students completing this degree are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, although not necessarily to a particular CSU campus or major.
Students transferring to a CSU campus that accepts the English AA-T will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor’s degree (unless the major is a designated “high-unit” major at a particular campus). This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or to a university or college that is not part of the CSU system. Students should consult with a counselor when planning to complete the degree for more information on university admission and transfer requirements.
To earn an Associate in Arts in English for Transfer degree, students must meet the following requirements:
- Complete 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC for CSU) or the California State University General Education-Breadth (CSU GE-Breadth) requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
- Obtain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 in all CSU transferable coursework. While a minimum GPA of 2.0 is required for admission, some transfer institutions and majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult with a counselor for more information.
- Earn a grade of “C” grade or better or “P” in all courses required in the major or area of emphasis. Even though a “P” grade is allowed (Title 5 section 55063), it is recommended that students complete their major courses with a letter grade (“A,” “B,” or “C”) due to unit limitations on “P/NP” courses.
- Complete a minimum of 12 units in residence at Ventura College.
|Required Core (4 units):|
|ENGL V01B||Critical Thinking and Composition Through Literature||4|
|List A: Select two (2) of the following courses (6 units):|
|ENGL V21A||British Literature before 1800||3|
|ENGL V21B||British Literature since 1800||3|
|ENGL V22A||American Literature: Colonial Period to 1865||3|
|ENGL V22B||American Literature: 1865 to Present||3|
|ENGL V30||World Literature: Antiquity to 1650||3|
|ENGL V31||World Literature: 1650 to Present||3|
|List B: Select two (2) of the following courses (6 units):|
|Any course from List A not already used (ENGL V21A, ENGL V21B, ENGL V22A, ENGL V22B, ENGL V30, ENGL V31)|
|ENGL V10||Creative Writing||3|
|ENGL V11A||Intermediate Creative Writing I||3|
|ENGL V15||Introduction to Poetry||3|
|ENGL V16||Introduction to Fiction||3|
|ENGL V18||Children's Literature and Film||3|
|ENGL V23||Introduction to Dramatic Literature||3|
|ENGL V26||Introduction to Shakespeare and Film||3|
|ENGL V29A||Aesthetics of Film I||3|
|ENGL V29B||Aesthetics of Film II||3|
|ENGL V33||Introduction to African American Literature||3|
|ENGL V34||Introduction to Chicana/o Literature||3|
|ENGL V35||Introduction to Multicultural American Literature||3|
|ENGL V36||Women in Literature||3|
|List C: Select one (1) of the following courses (3–5 units):|
|Any course from List A or List B not already used (ENGL V10, ENGL V11A, ENGL V15, ENGL V16, ENGL V18, ENGL V21A, ENGL V21B, ENGL V22A, ENGL V22B, ENGL V23, ENGL V26, ENGL V29A, ENGL V29B, ENGL V30, ENGL V31, ENGL V33, ENGL V34, ENGL V35, ENGL V36)|
|ANTH V05||Linguistic Anthropology: Culture and Communication||3|
|BUS V45||Business Communications||3|
|COMM V05||Oral Interpretation and Communication of Literature||3|
|ENGL V01C||Critical Thinking and Writing||3|
|ENGL V11B||Intermediate Creative Writing II||3|
|ENGL V12||Introduction to Media Writing||3|
|ENGL V14||Introduction to Creative Nonfiction||3|
|FREN V01||Elementary French I||5|
|FREN V02||Elementary French II||5|
|GERM V01||Elementary German I||5|
|GERM V02||Elementary German II||5|
|ITAL V01||Elementary Italian I||5|
|ITAL V02||Elementary Italian II||5|
|JAPN V01||Elementary Japanese I||5|
|JAPN V02||Elementary Japanese II||5|
|SPAN V01||Elementary Spanish I||5|
|SPAN V02||Elementary Spanish II||5|
|SPAN V03||Intermediate Spanish I||5|
|SPAN V03S||Spanish Heritage Language I||5|
|SPAN V04||Intermediate Spanish II||5|
|SPAN V04S||Spanish Heritage Language II||5|
|THA V01||Introduction to Theatre||3|
|Total Required Major Units||19–21|
|CSU General Education or IGETC-CSU Pattern||37–39|
|Electives (CSU transferable units to reach 60)||9–19|
See a counselor or consult assist.org, if you plan to transfer to a UC campus or a college or university other than a CSU.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Analyze texts representing a wide range of genres including poetry, drama, fiction, and film.
- Synthesize historical, formal, and critical ideas in interpreting a text.
- Write well-developed and effectively organized essays including in-class essays, interpretive arguments, and essays incorporating research.