Communication and speech are two of the most fundamental skills any student can acquire. Oral communication competence is the most highly prized and sought-after skill in the professional world, and an indispensable requirement for succeeding in all academic disciplines.
The Associate in Arts in Communication Studies for Transfer (Communication Studies AA-T) is intended for
students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in Communication Studies or a similar major at a CSU campus.
For a current list of what majors (and what options or areas of emphasis within that major) have been designated as “similar” to this degree at each CSU campus, please refer to https://adegreewithaguarantee.com/en-us/find-your-path and seek guidance from a Ventura College counselor. Students completing this degree are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, although not necessarily to a particular CSU campus or major.
Students transferring to a CSU campus that accepts the Communication Studies AA-T will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor’s degree (unless the major is a designated “high-unit” major at a particular campus). This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or to a university or college that is not part of the CSU system. Students should consult with a counselor when planning to complete the degree for more information on university admission and transfer requirements.
To earn an Associate in Arts in Communication Studies for Transfer degree, students must meet the following requirements:
- Complete 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC-CSU) or the California State University General Education-Breadth (CSUGE-Breadth) Requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
- Obtain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 in all CSU transferable coursework. While a minimum GPA of 2.0 is required for admission, some transfer institutions and majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult with a counselor for more information.
- Obtain a “C” grade or better or “P” in all courses required in the major. Even though a “P” grade is allowed (Title 5 Section 55063), it is recommended that students complete their major courses for a letter grade (“A,” “B,” or “C”) due to until limitations on “P/NP” courses.
- Complete a minimum of 12 units in residence at Ventura College.
|COMM V01||Introduction to Speech Communication||3|
|Units from List A||6|
|Units from List B||6|
|Units from List C||3-4|
|CSU General Education or IGETC-CSU Pattern||37-39|
|Electives (CSU transferrable units to reach 60)||13-21|
|List A: Select two (2) courses (6 units):|
|COMM V03||Group Communication||3|
|COMM V10||Critical Thinking in Oral Communication: Argumentation and Debate||3|
|COMM V15||Interpersonal Communication||3|
|List B: Select two (2) courses (6 units):|
|Any course not used in List A, or||3|
|COMM V05||Oral Interpretation and Communication of Literature||3|
|COMM V12||Intercultural Communication||3|
|COMM V16||Introduction to Mass Communications||3|
|List C: Select one (1) course (3-4 units):|
|ANTH V02||Cultural Anthropology||3|
|ENGL V01B||Critical Thinking and Composition Through Literature||4|
|PSY V01||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|SOC V01||Introduction to Sociology||3|
See a counselor or consult assist.org, especially if you plan to transfer to a UC campus or a college or university other than CSU.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Effectively communicate their ideas verbally and/or nonverbally.
- Effectively communicate in interpersonal, group, and intercultural settings.
- Effectively identify communication theory utilized within various communication contexts.